среда, 24 января 2018 г.

hugo_cocktail_rezept

Celebrating Dual Citizenship with Hugo

On Monday I became a US citizen.

As you probably already know I am German. I was born and raised in Germany and moved to the US with my husband after we had already been married and had children, which were also both born in Germany. Moving to the US was a big decision and a turning point in my life. I left everything behind. My family, my friends, familiar customs and places. I had also just lost my dad two month prior to brain cancer. The language was no big hurtle, but I remember very vividly how lost I felt. Over the years, life in the US got easier for me and I made friends and became more integrated. Still, I never felt that I was a part of the US society. The thought of becoming a US citizen formed.

After I heard through some of my German friends several years ago that Germany loosened its laws to allow dual citizenship, which was unheard of before (you would have to give up your German citizenship if you took on another one) I got very excited and started my research. It turned out that taking on the US citizenship was the easier part. The harder hurdle to take was with the German government. They had to give their approval for me to keep my German citizenship before taking on the US citizenship. Without that I would automatically loose my German one. Some of my friends had already started their paperwork battle with the German offices. They all made it sound that it would be an almost impossible task to achieve (well, for everybody else besides them) and I felt very discouraged. My collected research paperwork was moved into a drawer to gather dust.

A few years later at a moving away party for my friend Katharina, I met Markus and his wife Manu. Both became dear friends of our family very quickly. Markus and Manu encouraged me to continue to work on my paperwork towards becoming a US citizen. It turned out to be a much less complicated task then expected. Almost a year ago I sent my application away and was approved by the German government to keep my German citizenship after taking on the US citizenship in less then three month. I will never forget that special day when I got to pick up the official certificate at our consulate here in Denver.

Well, and the rest is history. Applying for the US citizenship was very easy for me, since I had already been living in the US legally for much longer then five years. Last Monday I completed the final testing on my knowledge of the US government and history. I passed without a mistake and was sworn in as a citizen the same afternoon.

I was excited that my husband and my friends Manu and Markus could attend the ceremony. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your support and encouragement. I could not have done it without you.

This special occasion calls for a celebration with Hugo. Hugo is a refreshing soda/ champagne drink enhanced with elderberry flower syrup, lime and mint leaves. It is THE summer to go drink in Germany. I got to taste it for the first time last summer while visiting a German winery in my home region Palatinate. It is refreshing, minty and bubbly, just the way I like it.

Please take a glass and let’s raise it. Prost, Zum Wohl, Cheers to letting me being a part of your country and a new chapter in my life. I am sending my love to all of you and thanks for all your continuous support.

  • 100 ml (3.38 fluid ounces) Prosecco or Champagne, brut, (I like Korbel brut)
  • 150 ml (5 fluid ounces) mineral water, bubbly
  • elderberry flower syrup
  • organic mint leaves
  • 2 organic lime, juiced
  • 1 organic lime, sliced
  • ice cubes
  1. Crush/ muddle 4 mint leaves and add to a champagne or bigger wine glass.
  2. Add a small amount of elderberry flower syrup, about 1-2 teaspoon (5 -10ml). Be careful not to add too much, otherwise you will end up with an overly sweet aperitif.
  3. Add the lime juice, champagne and mineral water. Stir well a cocktail spoon.
  4. Add more mint leaves and lime slices.
  5. Serve with a straw.

My boyfriend is also a dual citizen (US/German) and we live here in Denver. Would love to make this drink for a summer event and wondering where you find elderberry flower syrup in Denver?

I was looking for the Hugo recipe online and stumbled upon your dual citizenship story.

My wife Andrea and I are trying the same thing and were equally discouraged. We are both born and raised in Germany, Köln ind Düsseldorf, and live in California as “legal aliens”.

Would you be willing to share your story and give us some tips?

Vielen Dank im voraus!

Hugo is not a German drink. As been invented in South Tyrol in Northern Italy, and you must use Prosecco and not champagne. Champagne is a French wine. In Italy we use Prosecco.

Gian, I never mentioned that it was a German drink. I know where it comes from. Unfortunately I have to use the ingredients available to me for my recipes. I didn’t have Prosecco on hand. I hope you understand.

I am currently in Germany. I had recently had the fabulous celebration drink you share the recipe of above. I am in the process of marrying a German citizen…so the story you shared is very special to me. I look forward to the process of him becoming a US Citizen or a dual citizen of Germany and the US.

First, congrats on the citizenship!! I came across your site today for the first time and am THRILLED to find the Hugo!! We were in Germany this summer and indeed, it is the drink of the summer! I’ve been trying to replicate it since returning. Happy to find the syrup at IKEA – I even brought some back in case it wasn’t to be found in the US. I’m anxious to try your recipes. I’m on a German cooking/baking spree 🙂

Grüße aus Seattle!

Congratulations Kirsten! What wonderful news. What you wrote is true, when my sister and I were born we were not allowed to obtain dual citizenship, despite my mother being German. Now my sister is married to a German and has a German passport but I still only have an American passport, which made my living in the EU much more complicated.

Warmest congratulations on becoming a U.S. citizen, Kirsten. What a wonderful thing to celebrate and share with your blog’s readers. 🙂 And, what a lovely champagne drink to get the party going!

Yes! Congratulations! And…as one commenter said, “you probably know more about American history than native born Americans do” We all had to study it in school but who still thinks about it? We should. Your website is very professional looking and you have the most delicious recipes.

Now that I have at last made it to IKEA once in Denver, (I live about 31/2 hours from it in the mountains) and I loved that store, the next time I get to Denver I will go there and buy some elderberry syrup. I have read about elderberries on the internet for years but never tried to find some. Somewhere I read that someone mentioned elderberries as growing in the Boulder area? I wonder if that is so? Maybe I should try to grow my own. Thanks for this very good blog!

What a beautiful post. I’m an American/Australian dual citizen and I know exactly how you feel. You have a foot in both countries and I’ll bet when you’re homesick you cook something truly German. My husband can always tell when I’m homesick because I make decadent American things to eat. 🙂

I am so happy for you and I know how you feel. I became a US citizen in 2008 and now I carry dual citizenship (with Canada). I lived in the Denver area for 13 years and I’m now back in Canada for a while, working here. My hope/plan is to move to the US when I retire. By the way, I also lived in Germany for 8 years (Lahr im Schwarzwald) and looking forward to go back for a visit one day. Your blog is one of my favorites and I visit often. Congratulations to my fellow American!

A true welcome to America. Those of us born here are very proud to have you join us as a citizen. I find it wonderful that you can keep your German citizenship also. By the way, you and your husband look wonderful.

Thank you, Susan.

Gratulation, darauf stosse ich gerne mit einem Kurti auf dich an!

Zum Wohl, Zorra. Heisst Hugo auch Kurti?

Kurti ist mit Basilikum- anstelle von Holunderblütensirup und ist das Sommergetränk 2012 – http://kochtopf.twoday.net/stories/kurti-mein-sommergetraenk-2012/ 😉

Congratulations Kirsten. How nice that you are now a US citizen like the rest of your family. You have no idea how pleased i am to have come across this post. After over 40 years in New Zealand (married to a Kiwi) I have not become a Kiwi myself because it would have meant giving up my German nationality. Our son has got dual nationality though. I shall contact the embassy in Wellington and find out more about it.

Christel, es ist nie zu spaet!

Zwei Heimaten kann man haben, aber besser nur ein Zuhause! Sage ich mal so als Auslands-Deutsche :).

Sieht aus, als würde es dir gut damit gehen – daher: Félicitation!

Vielen Dank, Micha. Zuhause hat man nur eins das stimmt. Mein Zuhause ist nun hier in den USA. Heimat hat man aber auch nur eine. Heimat wird immer Deutschland sein. Weisst Du das es im Englischen gar kein Wort fuer Heimat gibt?

Kirsten, I often visit your site because I love to cook and look for German reipes. I am Canadian and loved this post. I am of German origin and can read

the German .. that was fun. I do believe there is an English word for Heimat.

Congratulations Kirsten! Immigration is sometimes a sea of red tape. I’m so glad you cut through it. If anyone could pass the test without error, my money would be on you.

Thank you, Karen. We will have to celebrate with a pie soon. What kind?

Congratulations on your milestone. Love the drink you have picked to celebrate with – yum!

Thank you, Chele. Yes, the drink is outstanding. Hope you will give it a try!

Congratulations Kirsten! What a huge milestone and accomplishment (you know more about American History now than more Americans I’m sure!). I hope it brings you the feeling of inclusion you so deserve. Do the kids have dual citizenship as well? I wondered if you tested the waters first to see if you could maintain both before trying with them. Beatufiul drink too!

Thank you, Toni. Yes, my kids do have dual citizenship through birth. Luck ones.

I’m so glad you wrote about this. Congratulations Kirsten and BIG HUGS to you! I remember you mentioning something about it once, during the German paperwork part. I had forgotten all about it. And what a beautiful drink to celebrate. We’ll have to celebrate with a great time in Portland.

Thank you, Lea Ann. We will definitely celebrate in Portland. Can’t wait to go.

Congratulations! That’s a really exciting time for you!

Thank you, Brittany. Yes, it is.

Herzlichen Glueckwunsch – well done! Ich dachte auch immer, dass die doppelte Staatsbuergerschaft schwierig zu erreichen waere…..

Danke, Gudrun. Nein, so schwer ist das gar nicht. Wenn Du moechtest kann ich Dir gerne behilflich sein.

I raise my glass to you, dear friend

Congratulations! I have been so honored to get to know you and now I feel I’ve gotten to be a part of a special day for you. Love and Cheers XOXO

Thank you, Susan! I am honored that you are my friend, too.

Oh what a wonderful day for you and your family. Congratulations and I’m sure you will be thrilled to vote. I love the picture of you and your husband. You two make a good looking American couple!!

Thank you, Susan. Yes, it was a very special day.

Ich gratuliere von Herzen und heb’ ein Glas Hugo auf Dich!

Danke und Zum Wohl.

Thank you, Michele.

Welcome to the U.S.!

It’s nice that you have dual citizenship, I’m sure the German healthcare is much better for retirees . . . when you get around to that!

Thanks, Mary. Healthcare is better, but by then I am sure they are also out of money. Who knows.

Herzlichen Glückwunsch, liebe Kirsten! Für jede – die alte und die neue – Heimat eine Staatsbürgerschaft, ich stoße auf Dich an 🙂

Thanks! Heimat gibt es aber nur eine!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Recent Posts

My recipes featured on

Get smart with the Thesis WordPress Theme from DIYthemes.

Hugo cocktail rezept

Make me a cocktail

The world's best cocktail resource

Cocktail recipe

  • #6 / 8 in Elderflower Liqueur Cocktails
  • |
  • see all.
  • #31 / 65 in Mint Leaves Cocktails
  • |
  • #19 / 75 in Lemon Cocktails
  • |
  • #4 / 9 in Sparkling Water Cocktails
  • |
  • #10 / 12 in Prosecco Cocktails

5 Ingredients

  • 4 Mint Leaves 4 Mint Leaves 4 Mint Leaves
  • 1 slice Lemon 1 slice Lemon 1 slice Lemon
  • 10 cl Sparkling Water 10 cl Sparkling Water 10 cl Sparkling Water
  • 15 cl Prosecco 15 cl Prosecco 15 cl Prosecco
  • 2 cl Elderflower Liqueur 2 cl Elderflower Liqueur 2 cl Elderflower Liqueur
  • Original

Microbadges (Expand)

Featured in a user list on the site

We have a photo of this cocktail

Has been featured as cocktail of the day on this site

" > Cocktail Of The Day

Found In Lists

Thankyou for your email, we'll look at the issue as soon as we can.

Activity on this cocktail

Can you make this?

Personalise your bar and see what cocktails you can make

Elsewhere on the net

Here's cocktail expert Paul McFadyen taking us through how to make the Hugo, a drink set to take Great Britain by storm this Summer. Rain or shine. You'll need: . ">Perfect Serve: How to make the Hugo https://www.youtube.com/embed/novhG74sF08

Hugo, un cocktail aperitivo molto apprezzato nel Trentino, nell'Alto Adige e nel nord est della nostra penisola. Un cocktail semplice , fresco e gradevole e . ">Hugo - cocktail aperitivo https://www.youtube.com/embed/aHd6QrK0Fng

How to make Hugo cocktail drink. Step by step recipe. The perfect drink for a warm day - or any day!">How to make Hugo Cocktail

    [ajax call='elsewhere_on_the_net' args='typee:web,cid:8005,title:Hugo']

You might also like

Maple Morning
Sweet Flower
Whiskey Sour

Recent searches

  • No searches made.

Add to a list

You need to be a member in create and edit lists. Register here

Already a member? Login.

Add to basket
  • 4 Mint Leaves Mint Leaves ( )
  • 1 slice Lemon Lemon ( )
  • 10 cl Sparkling Water Sparkling Water ( )
  • 15 cl Prosecco Prosecco ( )
  • 2 cl Elderflower Liqueur Elderflower Liqueur ( )
Add to My Bar
  • 4 Mint Leaves Mint Leaves
  • 1 slice Lemon Lemon
  • 10 cl Sparkling Water Sparkling Water
  • 15 cl Prosecco Prosecco
  • 2 cl Elderflower Liqueur Elderflower Liqueur
Email the recipe
Text the recipe
  • Badges & Reputation
  • Advertising
  • Privacy Policy
  • T&C
  • FAQ
  • About
  • Subscribe
  • Contact
  • Copyright © 2017 Make me a cocktail. All Rights Reserved.
  • Enter your email address and we'll send you a free Ebook of cocktail recipes.

    As well as receiving weekly updates packed with our latest drink and cocktail related content.

    And . done! Awesome.

    Your 'Top 50 Cocktails' book is whizzing through the old t'internet as we speak, and should be with you soon.

    Hugo - Champagne Aperitif With Elderflower and Mint

    Recipe by BecR2400

    people discussing

    Top Review by

    Top Review by

    people discussing

    Hugo - Champagne Aperitif With Elderflower and Mint

    SERVES:

    Ingredients Nutrition

    • 100 ml prosecco (recommend Korbel Brut) or 100 ml champagne, brut (recommend Korbel Brut)
    • 150 ml sparkling water
    • 1 -2 teaspoon elderflower syrup
    • organic mint leaf
    • 2 organic limes, juice of
    • 1 organic lime, sliced
    • ice cube

    Directions

    1. Crush or muddle 4 mint leaves in a champagne or large wine glass.
    2. Add a small amount of elderflower syrup (about 1-2 teaspoons or 5-10 ml). Be careful not to add too much, otherwise you will end up with an overly sweet aperitif.
    3. Add the lime juice, champagne (100 ml= 3.38 fluid ounces) and mineral water (150 ml= 5 fluid ounces). Stir well with a cocktail spoon.
    4. Add more mint leaves and lime slices, and ice as desired.
    5. Serve with a straw.

    get the genius kitchen app.

    Watch on your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Roku, or Fire TV.

    get the genius kitchen app.

    Watch on your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Roku, or Fire TV.

    Join the Conversation

    • all
    • reviews
    • tweaks
    • q & a

    Attach Photo

    Would you like to attach a photo to your submission?

    • Browse
    • Cancel

    Attach Photo

    The image has been attached to your submission.

    Report this post?

    Are you sure you want to report this post for review?

    • Yes, report it.
    • Oops! Cancel!

    You must be logged in to interact with the activity feed.

    • Log in now
    • Cancel

    Missing Input

    Please enter a rating or review before submitting.

    Missing Input

    Please enter a reply before submitting.

    Please enter your before submitting.

    Your reply has been submitted for moderation.

    There was an error processing your submission. Please refresh and try again!

    Nutrition Info

    Serving Size: 1 (173 g)

    Servings Per Recipe: 2

    Amt. Per Serving % Daily Value Calories 78.6 Calories from Fat 1 2% Total Fat 0.2 g 0% Saturated Fat 0 g 0% Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Sodium 7.3 mg 0% Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g 4% Dietary Fiber 2.8 g 11% Sugars 2.9 g 11% Protein 0.7 g 1%

    The Hugo: Prosecco, Elderflower & Mint

    One of my best friends, Jasmin, is in town visiting from Zurich this week! (and next week- yay!) As I think I’ve mentioned before on this blog, Jas is a bit of a travel junkie. Jasmin works just so she can travel, it’s the driving force in her life.

    In typical travel junkie fashion, Jasmin collects immunizations, passport stamps and now- passports! As of last week, our dear Jas is officially a Canadian and Swiss. 🙂

    Jasmin is a wonderful house-guest to have because she is fiercely independent. I don’t have to feel guilty about having to spend hours at the office while she’s here because she will pack her days full of enviable adventures regardless of my sporadic commitments. Case in point: as I write this, her and my mum are driving to Squamish to do some epic hike, followed by a tour of the best Persian grocery stores the North Shore has to offer.

    Since I do have to spend a fair deal of time at the office, Jasmin and I make sure we spend good quality time together over the evenings and weekends (and lunch hours and coffee breaks…). Of course, this has to include good food and drink.

    Fresh pasta, veal saltimbocca, local salmon… Last weekend Jas introduced me to the Aperol Spritz (finally! I know I’m like years overdue.) Amazing. Such a hit.

    Yesterday, it was The Hugo.

    Yeah, I’m a silly North American. Apparently The Hugo is The IT Drink in Europe this summer.

    Thankfully, I just happened to have all the ingredients for said drink at my house. A bottle of Italian Prosecco left over from our Aperol adventure, fresh mint from the garden and… the secret ingredient.

    Yep, that’s from IKEA.

    I’ve long been a fan of IKEA’s elderflower concentrate. Mixed with a little sparkling water, it becomes a quick and delicious sipper, comparable to those (rather pricey) Elderflower Presse bottles you find at Whole Foods.

    Well, let me tell you… no wonder this drink is such a hit, it really is the perfect summer aperitif. Deeeeeeply refreshing.

    Some people top their Hugo with a splash of sparkling water- feel free to do that if you wish, I personally don’t find it adds much. If the sparkling wine is toasty and not sweet, I find it’s refreshing enough on it’s own, and I don’t like diluting the flavours. To each their own, however- it certainly doesn’t hurt to get an extra splash of water on a hot day here and there.

    The elderflower concentrate is sweet, but we’re not using much of it. I find this cocktail is a real hit with people who love wine and people who are still on the fence about it- just wine-y enough to satisfy people like me and Chelsea, not so wine-y as to deter the Palm Bay fans (Denise, I’m looking at you, this drink has your name written all over it, my sweet!)

    Add just enough lemon to bump the acidity on your palette plus a sprinkle of lightly muddled mint- both classic ‘refreshing’ flavours… my goodness.

    Not to say I’m counting the minutes until 5pm but… well…

    • Ice cubes
    • Fresh mint
    • 1 part IKEA Elderflower concentrate
    • 3 parts Italian Prosecco or any brut sparkling wine (non-sweet)
    • 1 wedge of lemon or lime, squeezed
    1. Place ice cubes in a large wine glass. Gently muddle the mint, either using a pestle or your (clean) fingertips. Add to the glass(es) along with the juice from one lemon wedge.
    2. Add 1 part elderflower concentrate followed up 3 parts Prosecco. Enjoy!!

    Kathleen Mc says

    I think the genuine article is with elderflower liqueur (such as St. Germain) but this version sounds very refreshing.

    Leave a Reply Cancel reply

    Girl meets girl. Girl bonds with girl over food. Food blog baby is born. Read more about us.

    Subscribe to Port and Fin!

    Chelsea has a serious crush on food. In fact, most of her day revolves around the thought "when am I going to eat next?" More…

    Finn likes to cook. And eat. Tragically, she doesn't have a sweet tooth, but she makes up for it with a substantial fat tooth. More…

    Hugo cocktail rezept

    Hugo is a cocktail pleasing to the eye, fresh, light and fragrant: the perfect drink for the summer.

    At the base of the cocktail, elderflower syrup, derived from an ancient recipe from Trentino, the ideal aroma for drinks and appetizers.

    In the processing of elderflower nothing is left to the chance, especially at harvest. The best product you get in the late spring (may – june), avoiding hours of the morning, when the flowers are still closed, and the late afternoon, when the flowers could be too dry.

    UHugo can by modified by adding a slice of green apple or green apple syrup, another product of Trentino, rediscovered as a new ingredient of the Spritz.

    Elderflower-Syrup

    Elderflower-syrup , according to an old recipe from Trentino is the perfect natural aroma for drinks and appetizers.

    Good quality is given by the perfect blend of flavor and the traditional preparation. Sweet and aromatic, the new flavor for Summer 2013.

    Alcohol free base for fresh summer appetizers.

    How to use: diluted with water Elderflower-syrup becomes an refreshing drink such as tradition from Trentino. Combined with ice-cold Prosecco and a few leaves of mind it’s transformed in the excellent HUGO Cocktail.

    • As a drink: 2 cl. of syrup, 10 cl of mineral water (or as you like)
    • Hugo Cocktail: 3 cl of syrup, 7 cl of Prosecco (o sparkling wine), 2 cl of sparkeling mineral water
    • Hugo spritz: 2 cl of syrup, 7 cl of sparkling wine, 5 cl of Seltz.

    Recipe for Hugo Cocktail

    Recipe for Hugo Cocktail

    Hugo is a fresh and tasty cocktail, the perfect drink for the hot summer.

    Easy to prepare, no need of bartenders equipment, just a few ingredients mixed in the right way.

    And here the original recipe to prepare a great Hugo Cocktail:

    Hugo cocktail rezept

    It was only invented around ten years ago, but already the elderflower spritzer known as Hugo – or ‘Ugo’ in Italy – has become the classic warm-weather long drink in bars from Milan to Munich, and its fame is quickly spreading.

    The genealogy of the mix is hotly disputed: most of the origin legends trace it back to a bartender called Roland Grüber, who goes by the professional name ‘AK’, from the largely German-speaking Alto Adige region in the north of Italy. But AK’s Hugo used lemon balm cordial rather than elderflower – which has since become the cocktail’s defining characteristic.

    Perhaps, as so often, the Hugo arose out of the zeitgeist, with several people contributing, in a series of small steps, to today’s canonical recipe. Le Sirenuse’s head barman Robert Wimmer suggests one more tweak to make Hugo “the perfect, refreshing summer drink”: a garnish of summer berries.

    But whether or not AK was Hugo’s biological father, we love his explanation for the choice of name, as given to German newspaper Der Spiegel: “Why Hugo? Because I liked it better than Otto”.

    A few ice cubes

    25g Elderflower liqueur – for example St Germain

    50g soda water – for example Fever Tree

    A sprig of mint

    A small handful of summer berries

    The drink is built in the glass. Choose a standard-sized red wine glass, add the ice cubes, and pour in the elderflower liqueur. Add the soda water – either from a syphon or a bottle – and top up with a good Prosecco (you may find you need less than 5cl or 50g – this is very much a question of taste).

    Garnish with mint and summer berries – some red and some purple or black for maximum colour contrast.

    Hugo (Cocktail)

    Ajouter ma photo

    Ingrédients

    Ustensiles

    Ingrédients

    Nombre de personne

    cl de Vins mousseux (de préférence du Prosecco)

  • cl d'eau gazeuse

  • cl de sirop de fleurs de sureau

  • rondelle de citron vert

  • feuille de menthe fraîche

  • ustensiles

    10€ sur Marmiton Boutique

    Préparation imprimer

    1. Rincer les feuilles de menthe et les écraser dans un mortier avec un pilon.
    2. Verser directement dans un "verre à vin ballon" :
    3. L’eau gazeuse, suivi du Prosecco et du sirop de fleur de sureau.
    4. Ajouter les feuilles de menthe fraîche et la rondelle de citron. Ajouter les glaçons.
    5. Remuer délicatement avec une cuillère à mélange pendant 8 à 10 sec.
    6. Le cocktail est prêt à être savouré avec une paille.

    Note de l'auteur

    Cocktail à faible teneur en alcool, extrêmement rafraîchissant, originaire du Sud Tyrol (Italie).

    J'ajoute mon grain de sel

    Top vidéo au hasard - Faire un smoothie

    Votre navigateur ne peut pas afficher ce tag vidéo.

    Rédiger un mémo

    Choisir un carnet

    Pour conserver l'annotation de cette recette, vous devez également la sauver dans votre carnet.

    Sauver mon mémo

    1 avis sur cette recette

    Qu'en avez-vous pensé ?

    Donnez votre avis.

    Vous ne pouvez pas ajouter de commentaire à cette recette car vous l'avez déjà commentée

    Cette recette a reçu

    Avec 1 notes et avis

    Très bon, très frais

    À découvrir aussi

    Complétez votre équipement pour cuisiner

    Rejoignez la communauté

    Devenez testeur !

    En panne d'inspiration ?

    Voici des suggestions de recette qui pourraient vous intéresser

    Pétillant sans alcool au gingembre

    Pétillant sans alcool

    Mojito cubain

    Ajouter à mes carnets

    la recette Hugo (Cocktail)

    Choisir un carnet (0)

    J'ajoute la recette à mes carnets

    Partager à mes amis

    la recette Hugo (Cocktail)

    Vous confirmez que cette photo n'est pas une photo de cuisine ou ne correspond pas à cette recette ?

    Retrouvez Marmiton où que vous soyez en téléchargeant l'application

    Europe 2012, Part 3: Germany, A Road Trip (and Hugo Cocktail)

    After a short flight from Nice to Frankfurt, we took the train to Stuttgart. We had a little business to take care of in Sindelfingen the next day so the vendor we were dealing with booked accommodations for us at nearby Stuttgart. Outside of the train station we approached the queue of taxis and promptly requested to be driven to our hotel. The driver looks at us, pauses, and politely points to the building across the street with large letters displaying, what else, the name of our hotel. My husband and I looked at each other and laughed. After a very easy connection from the Frankfurt airport to the train station–they’re in the same structure–and not even having to search for our hotel, we felt pretty confident about the road trip we we were about to take in Germany. This was going to be smooth sailing all the way, we thought, but little did we know the adventure that awaited us.

    We spent an afternoon exploring Stuttgart–having a beer on the Schlossplatz with a view of the “new” castle which was built between 1746 and 1807 as opposed to the old castle which dates back to 950. Stuttgart is on the valley floor; just beyond, vineyards decorated the landscape. We were still in a rosé state of mind so at dinner that night my husband ordered a French variety. Me? I tried a German version and it won hands down. Confessing my ignorance here, I had no idea we were passing close to Germany’s wine region.

    In Stuttgart, after a factory tour and lunch that lasted much longer than we expected, we threw our bags in the car. We had mapped out a loose itinerary that would allow us to see a few sites before heading back to Frankfurt to catch our flight home. The kind technician entered our first two destinations into the car’s navigation system, made sure the language was set to English, I had our road map and we were set. He said it should take us no more than 1 1/2 hours to get to our first stop, Hohenschwangau. We had booked accommodations the night before for our stay there and also for our stay at our second stop, Lindau.

    Save for the Friday afternoon traffic everything looked good. I followed the navigation system’s directions on my road map and seemed to be on the right track. There would be a fork along the way, each split leading to our two destinations. Ever vigilant about not getting lost when traveling, I always carry a map with me and follow along when I’m on a train or when walking city streets. In this instance, though, after a few “check points” making sure the system was working properly, I put my map down and relied on it completely.

    About two hours into our drive my husband started complaining. Each traffic delay further shortened his fuse. He hates being in traffic at home and the realization that this leg of our trip might involve more road time than we had anticipated didn’t bode well for him. “Take me back to Cap Ferrat,” he said.

    The worst part? I started to notice the signs and something didn’t look right. Each kilometer we drove brought as closer to Lindau.

    Hmmm, we weren’t supposed to be there until tomorrow. Again, the town was on the opposite direction of Hohenschwangau from our starting point in Sindelfingen. Suspicious of what might have happened I picked up the map again and sure enough, we were headed for the wrong town!

    Now the dilemma. How do you tell your tired husband that you screwed up? I realized that I must have accidentally highlighted the wrong town when I activated the GPS. There was only one thing to do: tell him. But it took me another 30 minutes to get up the courage. Of course, the litany of complaints followed. They weren’t aimed at me, thankfully, just to the unfortunate turn of events. We finally arrived at Lindau a half hour later and unsurprisingly, our explanation about needing a room that night instead of the following night was met with graciousness but hard-to-hide amusement from the front desk staff. Just call me a Griswold.

    It turned out that we needn’t have been concerned. We simply reversed our itinerary and it all worked out. Lindau is situated on Lake Constance (Konstanz), a popular destination in Germany. The third largest lake in the central Europe, it straddles Germany, Austria and Switzerland. My dear friend Monika recommended that we visit the actual town of Konstanz but time limited our stops. Lindau didn’t disappoint. A charming town, it was an ideal setting for seeing Bavarian architecture and experiencing the hospitality of the German people.

    And the food. Breakfasts were a major treat. Countless varieties of breads were on display each morning, along with cured meats, jam and my favorite, liverwurst. I loved, loved my breakfasts in Germany. So much so that I have been meaning to bake German bread at home. Did you know that there are more varieties of bread in Germany than in any other European country? I love their dense, wholesome quality…and slathered with liverwurst, I was in breakfast heaven for nearly a week.

    Setting off the next day for Hohenschwangau we took a detour and crossed the Austrian border. It wasn’t long before I started to wonder if I stepped back in time. Verdant countrysides, immaculate farm houses and livestock roamed freely on this portion of the Austrian Alps. We were fortunate to stumble upon a village in the middle of an annual event called the Almabtrieb (literally, drive from the mountain pasture), when the cow herds are moved from the mountain pastures down to the valley. With bells around their necks and herded by their owners in traditional Austrian attire, the cows moving through the village streets and children laughing gaily behind, to me, gave new meaning to the term “I’ll be there with bells on.”

    Upon arriving in Hohenschwangau, the proprietor of the hotel greeted us with, and not unkindly, “You made it finally.” He, too, was very accommodating about switching our reservations despite the overcrowded condition of the entire town.

    Hohenschwangau is a major tourist attraction. In all honesty, this is not a place my husband and I would have chosen to visit had it not been part of the itinerary we selected. There’s no denying the beauty of the place, however–what with the Austrian mountains as a backdrop , castles–but with bus after bus of tourists being herded into and out of town, it earned a couple of marks down from us. But we were there and we were determined to have a good time.

    What draws the crowds to Hohenschwangau is Neuschwanstein Castle, commissioned by Ludwig II of Bavaria in the 19th century. At the time of his death in 1886 construction was unfinished but its major claim to fame (perhaps from an American perspective) is that this is the castle that inspired Walt Disney’s fairy tale homes for his royal heroines. King Ludwig II’s childhood home was a short distance away (seen lit up at night below). We took the obligatory tour of the fairy tale castle and I was almost disappointed not to see Cinderella run down the steps to greet the throng of tourists.

    Besides enjoying the history of the reclusive King Ludwig’s life, what bowled me over was the full-service kitchen with walls lined with row upon row of copper cookware of all sizes. If I remember correctly, the kitchen may never have been used.

    Below the lit-up Hohenschwangau castle here are a couple of pictures of Neuschwanstein Castle as we waited for the tour to start. The most dramatic part of its exterior is now covered in scaffolding, diminishing its romantic effect up close but here is a view looking at it from afar.

    The following morning we set off for Heidelberg, an overnight stop to shorten our drive towards Frankfurt. We enjoyed strolling through the Hauptsrasse, a pedestrian shopping street filled with eateries and quaint boutiques leading to the Altstadt, the historical city center. There was no shortage of artisan food here. Liqeuers in all flavors, absinthe–all available for tasting.

    The most unlikely thing that happened was that I ran into a friend whom I hadn’t seen since junior high school. My husband and I were craving Asian food and found what looked like a good place, busy and full of locals. I took a peek inside the dining room and almost instantly recognized two adorable little girls. Those are Jonathan’s kids, I thought. I knew he lived in Heidelberg with his family and we were friends on Facebook but had not really communicated beyond “liking” each other’s activity in the site. I walked over to say hello and I think he was just as stunned to see me as I was about running into him. Small world indeed.

    The final leg of this three-week vacation that started in the French Riviera with a side trip to the Italian Riviera was a quick tour of Frankfurt (Parts 1and 2 of this series here and here). After years of layovers at the city’s airport on the way to other destinations we thought it would be a good time to finally get to know one of Germany’s largest cities. We spent two days walking all over the city, browsing, taking pictures and me, ogling all the bread and sweet shops. The best part of this visit, for me, was that I was able to see my dear friend Monika and her husband, Alex.

    Monika and I met as volunteers at Stanford University a few years ago. We hit it off right away and have been friends since, though life’s path took them back to Germany a few years ago. After a couple of years of communicating strictly via email it was wonderful to be able to catch up with each other again over dinner.

    At dinner that evening Monika introduced us to Hugo, a very popular summer cocktail in Germany. Made of prosecco, lime, mint and elderflower syrup, Hugo (pronounced oo-go) originated in the South Tyrol in the northern part of Italy. It’s similar to a Cuban mojito but since cocktails have never been a big part of my habit, I had no idea what was in store for me. Refreshing and light, it was the perfect drink to enjoy the start of a beautiful Frankfurt evening with good friends.

    Originally I had in mind to share a pretzel recipe to accompany this post. But not long after returning home from our trip I received a precious gift from Monika–elderflower syrup! So this is what I share with you today. My husband and I have been enjoying Hugo for the last few days. Sticking with the classic ingredients I found the right balance of prosecco, citrus and elderflower syrup for me and my husband. Even resorting to using my Meyer lemons when I ran out of limes this Hugo was wonderful. I couldn’t think of a better drink to remember another fun trip.

    • 2-3 parts Prosecco (100-150 ml)
    • 3 parts seltzer water (150 ml)
    • 1 Tablespoon elderflower syrup
    • Juice of one fresh lime
    • 4-5 mint leaves
    • ice cubes
    1. If you have a wooden muddler to mash the mint leaves in your cocktail glass, go ahead and use it. Otherwise, using a mortar and pestle would work, too. In my case, I used a wooden spoon and muddled the mint leaves using a wooden bowl. Transfer the mint leaves to your glass and add the other ingredients. Stir and serve with a straw.
    2. This recipe can easily be adjusted for more servings.

    What a fantastic journey you and hubby experienced! Everything is so pleasing to the eye and I felt like I was on the trip with both of you. So loving this cocktail. I adore St. Germaine and often serve it with prosecco. I must try the Hugo. Happy Sunday!! (PS – love the addition of the mint – simply perfect!)

    Beautiful photos, now I’m truly craving a European vacation! 🙂 Love your cocktail, the flavors sound so refreshing!

    I missed part two because my in-laws were visiting from Italy but I love the pictures. Makes me yearn for Vicenza!! Germany is a fantastic place to visit, though I have only been through the airports and train stations in Frankfurt.

    I am so glad you enjoyed Frankfurt, finally:) My BIL is German (from Meinz) and he always takes us on tours. It is o different to experience a country with a native guide who is your friend, too:) German wines are so underrated and so wonderful! Cheap, too:) I LOVE your photos – through them and your words I vicariously traveled without spending a dime:)

    I know what you mean about German breaKfasts – even in my sister’s kitchen, there is an abundance of breads, cold cuts, spreads and cheeses (and liverwurst, of course:) We have a German store in the neighborhood and I go shopping a few times a year just to stock up on some memory-jarring ingredients:)

    I like mojitos and I am sure Hugo is delicious! All I need is some elderflower syrup – a care package from Germany might be in order!

    A beautiful post! Thanks for sharing your impressions and gorgeous pictures with us. The German countryside looks a lot like Switzerland…

    We travel to Germany almost every year and your post made me smile as I have almost all the same photos. It seems like you were blessed with absolutely beautiful weather. I hope we will be as lucky when we return in October. I can’t wait to try a Hugo.

    wow!what a wonderful trip….stunningly good pics and awesome photography 🙂

    I’m making Hugos for my book club tonight. I couldn’t find elderflower syrup. I thought to use elderberry syrup but the grocer thought orange flower juice would be more like it.

    Hi Inge, did you end up using the elderberry syrup or orange flower juice? I can’t say I’ve tried either substitution so I’m not sure which would have been better. Would love to know how it worked out for you, though. 🙂

    We lived in Stuttgart years ago and what a wonderful time we had living in Germany. We were constantly at Heidelberg just to take a day trip. The first foreign country we lived in, but it gave us the thirst to see other countries. We have lived and or traveled in about 25 now and though Germany was our favorite, Ireland was second. What a place to take pictures and to eat good food, and meet wonderful people. We did the Bed and Breakfast there for two weeks just to experience the people in their homes and get to know them. Wow! We lived in Tallinn, Estonia for many years and loved the Estonian people and from there traveled all across Europe. You take great pictures and love the way you describe the food. Thanks! So enjoyed this!

    Joyce, thanks for your very nice comment. We have something in common besides our love of seeing new places–Ireland is one of my favorite places to visit. In fact, it feels like a second home. Now I’m curious about Estonia. Hope to be able to see it one day. 🙂

    Trackbacks

    […] A Road Trip in Germany and Hugo Cocktail | Lemons and AnchoviesYou can't go wrong combining Prosecco, limes, mint and elderflower syrup. Hugo is one of the most popular summer cocktails of Germany. […]

    The Hugo

    Make this rum-and-ginger drink ahead, if you like. Follow directions through Step 1; cover and chill up to 24 hours. Proceed with Step 2 when you're ready to serve.

    Ingredients

    • 2 cups dark rum
    • 1 cup fresh lime juice (about 8 limes)
    • 1/2 cup store-bought ginger juice
    • 5 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. sugar
    • 8 dashes of bitters (optional)
    • 1 (1-liter) bottle club soda, chilled
    • Garnish: lime slices

    How to Make It

    Combine first 4 ingredients and, if desired, bitters in a pitcher; stir until sugar dissolves.

    Pour mixture into 8 (10-oz.) rocks glasses filled with ice; top with club soda.

    Adapted from The Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen, copyright 2013 by Matt Lee and Ted Lee.

    You May Like

    Sign Up for our Newsletter

    Ratings & Reviews

    Delicious and healthy recipes customized for you!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...